Shaw's horrors of Christmas

Dear readers:

         I thought I did not have to post this, as people could "google" it. I was wrong.


               The complete quote is only in a forgotten book of quotes.  So, real books are superior when looking for nasty things to say about this 'wonderful' holiday.

              *ahem*


           George Bernard Shaw on Christmas: (from Our Theatres in the Nineties)

              "I am sorry to have to introduce the subject of Christmas....it is an indecent subject; a cruel, gluttonous subject; a drunken, disorderly subject; a wasteful disastrous subject; a wicked, caging, lying, filthy, blasphemous, and demoralizing subject.  Christmas is forced on a reluctant and disgusted nation by the shopkeepers and the press: on its own merits it would wither and shrivel in the fiery breath of universal hatred; and anyone who looked back to it would be turned into a pillar of greasy sausages." 

           As a shopkeeper I am amused....but I agree. And Shaw wrote this 110 years ago.

                And it is only gotten more terrible, what with TV and so on pounding this dreadful holiday into our heads, from October 15 on.  And who will disagree with me?

                        Yick.

                     Regards, and

                 Happy New Year

                  Jamie Lutton

  

Comments

  1. While I agree with Shaw in one respect--Christmas as advertised and promoted sucks--I have a very different take on this ancient celebration.

    http://www.suzannaleigh.net/2011/12/turning-of-year.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment